Saturday 23 February 2013

In Brasov, No-one Can Hear You Scream


Brasov is a pleasant, relaxing tourist town in Transylvania, famous for its 16th/17th century fortifications, nature park and the nearby Bran Castle (which for some unknown reason is marketed as Dracula’s Castle, though it has absolutely nothing to do with either Dracula or Vlad the Impaler).  It was a chance to stop, relax, recharge before the expected insanity of Budapest.

Or it would have been had I not met Dr Joseph, the insane French Canadian.

DAY ZERO

Upon arrival my first task was to get to the hostel.  I’m a bit hesitant to use the actual name of the place, to be honest, as I’m not entirely sure I wouldn’t get hunted down if I did (that’s maybe a slight overstatement).  Anyway, it was night by the time my train arrived, so it was a forty-five minute walk in the dark in Transylvania.

I’d love to be able to say it was a terrifying experience, but to be honest Brasov is probably the safest-feeling nighttime location I’ve been in so far (Eastern Europe generally has felt very safe).  So instead of scuttling through the streets waiting to be grabbed at any moment by the vampires that supposedly live in Transylvania I stood around trying to grab photos of the silly Hollywood-style Brasov sign on the top of the local hill overlooking the town.

Arriving at the hostel I had to, as is fairly common with hostels that are really just renovated apartments, press the buzzer.  Normally hostels immediately unlock the door to let you in, so I was a little surprised when a voice came through the speaker saying, “Who is it?”

“Hi, I… uh… have a reservation?” (Yes I said it like a question – I do that sometimes).
“Andrew?”
“That’s right, yeah.”  Also the first hostel that had known my name before I even arrived.
“Come on up.”

I was greeted by a 23-year-old woman with a smooth, round Eastern European face.
“We’ve been waiting for you since two o’clock,” she said.  She didn’t say it with any particular anger or frustration – it was just a matter of fact statement.  I wasn’t sure how to take that entirely since it could have been either disapproval or welcome (welcome in the sense that she is suggesting they were looking forward to my arrival).  When she immediately followed that with an almost interrogative series of questions (friendly ones) I was a bit surprised.  Not many hostels have staff that are so interested in their clients.

I was taken through to my room, which due to it being off-season was to be empty except for me.  So I had plenty of privacy.  Unfortunately, the poor Romanian girl staying in the room next to me had to put up with me walking through her room whenever I needed anything since they were attached and in order to leave my room I had to go through hers.

Anyway, I was taken through to meet the gang – two Greeks whose names I can’t remember so they will be referred to as Odysseus and Heracles; the Romanian girl who was studying public service at one of those online universities and had come to Brasov to complete her exams and whose room I would regularly intrude into; Amalia, the Romanian girl who had let me in who worked there and was going to the US to work on a cruise liner at some point; and Joseph.  Joseph was a bald, middle-aged French Canadian man who had been travelling for five years doing work for Cirque du Soleil, riding a catamaran through the Caribbean and getting up to all sorts of crazy s***.  He was currently working at the hostel for some reason.

Joseph requires a bit of backstory – he was full of stories, some of which I will share with you in a few moments, but it’s probably important to bring up the reason for his travelling immediately so that some context for his personality can be had.  Joseph had been some kind of dental surgeon or something along those lines and I assume had made quite a lot of money doing that.  He was involved in a car accident (apparently he was hit by a police car…) and lost 70% of his memory.  After this he could no longer do surgery, though he tried for a while before giving up and deciding to travel.

Amalia and Joseph had a really bizarre relationship.  Initially I thought they were an item (there was definitely a lot of sexual frustration going on there) and they kept joking like they were (Joseph would introduce Amalia as his girlfriend and you kind of had to work out he was joking – though with the benefit of hindsight I suspect it was more wishful thinking than joking).  Amalia just sort of flirted with everyone.  Apparently Joseph had once warned her against being flirtatious with so many guys and she had shrugged her shoulders and said, “Why not?  They’re not important.”

I guess that exchange neatly sums up the problems with both of their attitudes towards one another and life generally.

Amalia brought up the idea of going out that night.  I still had the remains of a cough, but didn’t want to waste an opportunity to get to know the rather small group at this early stage, so I agreed.  The girl there for her exams didn’t go and neither did Odysseus.

We went to a place called the Street Café, a poky little bar down some steps in an alley that the hostel staff were regular patrons of.  Regular as in they went there every night.  Particularly Joseph.

Is the picture beginning to become clearer?

That night was trivia night.  Amalia flirted a bit with the guy running the trivia, Joseph flirted ferociously with one of the bar staff (they all knew each other of course) and they kind of just stared jealously at one another.

We’d also come across a chubby thirty-something French fellow named Frank, who was one of Joseph’s friends.  He wasn’t particularly interesting that night, so more on him later.

Trivia was divided into three sections – the first was twenty general knowledge questions, followed by ten movie quotes to guess, followed by another twenty general knowledge questions.

The first batch was dead easy.  Two were specific to Romania so I couldn’t answer, one I got wrong because Amalia translated ‘densest’ as ‘hardest’, so I answered silver instead of gold, and the only other one I got wrong was the city with the highest population, which turned out to be Tokyo.

Amalia started acting like I was a total genius and I was in a bit of a pleasant beer haze so enjoyed the compliments and attention (actually, scrap that, I’m an attention whore when I’m sober as well).

I thought we had movie quotes in the bag, but unfortunately, what with Valentine’s Day being just around the corner, they decided to do romantic comedy quotes, of which I guessed one.  In case you’re wondering, the one I got was Notting Hill, and I haven’t even seen that movie.

After being decimated there, I had renewed determination to get as much as possible in the final round, though it didn’t really help too much anyway.

By this point I had had maybe two pints of beer, which I knew I could handle.  The problem was that Joseph kept ordering tequila shots for everyone (because he was a crazy alcoholic but also refused to do shots alone) and I have to tell you, the others were far more used to this kind of liver punishment than I was.  And… well, it was tequila.  I freaking hate tequila.

I kept doing the shots (four of them in total – yes, I know that’s not much for you alcoholics out there) for two reasons.  One, Joseph would just order them without mentioning it to anyone, so they kept turning up on the table.  Two, I was still in total control of my faculties and concluded that I was doing ok.

Actually, there is another factor that I believe contributed greatly to how the night ended.  That was the smoking.  Holy f***monkeys.  Every single person in the bar was a chain smoker.  I’m pretty sure I got instant lung cancer as soon as I got to the bottom of the staircase.  The fumes hung thickly and were absorbed by my clothes and skin (I smelled of cigarettes for ages after – in fact, one of my shirts still has the smell).  I am certain that I took in more chemicals in that night than in the rest of my life combined.

So how did it end, you might be wondering.  When we left the bar at a bit before midnight I felt fine, having just the regular lightheadedness that a few drinks brings.  When we got back to the hostel I still felt fine and went to my room, got into my pajamas and brushed my teeth.

Things started to go wrong when I got into bed.  I started to feel sick to the very depths of my stomach.  I jumped up and raced to the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

I didn’t turn the light on, went straight for the toilet bowl, then for some reason decided that actually the shower was a better target (it’s a bit hazy around this point, but for some reason I legitimately thought the shower was a better spot for a vomit – maybe because it was a bigger target?)  This was followed by a coughing fit that took me to the actual toilet (which was right next to the shower anyway) and ended with another stomach purge.

At that point I’m pretty sure I blacked out, waking up again at 1am.  My forehead had been resting on the toilet bowl for the whole hour I had been in the comatose, semi-conscious state and it actually still hurts there when I poke it.  I had one final vomit into the toilet before getting up to turn the light on and see the damage.

It was then that I discovered that in my drunken state I hadn’t actually locked the door.  In fact I hadn’t even closed it.  See, it was one of those slide locks that fits into a little metal patch to prevent the door opening.  I had locked the latch before closing the door, making it simply bounce off the door frame.  So I had been sitting borderline passed out with my head on (almost in) the toilet bowl in the dark for an hour with the door not quite closed.  Oh yeah, and the door led straight into the Romanian student’s room.

Fortunately the damage was not too bad, so I just flushed it and washed it down the drain before waddling off through the poor girl’s room back to my bed.

So.  A good start to my time in Brasov.

DAY ONE

I was the first up that morning.  I had a much-needed shower, got dressed and went to the kitchen.  Joseph soon came and joined me, followed by the student.

“I heard you coughing last night,” she said.
“Yeah… sorry.”

Well, if all she’d heard was the coughing then I’d dodged a bullet there, though it’s likely she was simply being tactful.

Joseph started on breakfast.  That’s right.  At this hostel you got a cooked breakfast, today it was toasted baguette slices, omelet with mushroom, tomato and kiwi fruit.  I approved.

While the others slowly started to drift in I listened to some of Joseph’s stories.  I was in no rush because Amalia, the Greeks and I had agreed the previous evening to go to Bran Castle that day, so I needed to wait for them anyway.

So.  Joseph had some interesting stories, mostly surrounding picking up young Swedish girls on exotic Caribbean islands in his friend’s yacht or something similar.  He made sure to show me plenty of photos of his previous (worryingly youthful) girlfriends, and generally sounded possessive and chauvinistic.

He wanted to tell me about some of his more dangerous travels, so he brought up a tale that he claimed had happened to him in Jamaica.  While in a taxi (after picking up a cute Jamaican girl of course) he had been stopped by a gang, who had dragged him out of the taxi to rob and possibly murder him.  Apparently the girl he had picked up was in on it.  Anyway, out of the taxi he was dragged, trying to fight them off.  He eventually ended up flat on his face, arm being wrenched up behind him.

At that point an armoured vehicle arrived belonging to US military types – not sure of the specifics, some kind of embassy guard or something? – arrived and an armed SWAT team leaped out.  One of them shot the gang member holding Joseph in the chest with a shotgun blast.  All that for a Rolex (Joseph made sure to be very clear about what brand of watch he had been wearing, and also told me many times about the brand new Mercedes or whatever brand it was he had parked in his garage in Canada, unused for five years).

Amalia finally got up and we were able to make for Bran Castle.  To get there we needed to catch a bus.  Normally I would walk to the bus station but this time I was accompanied by some lazy buggers (and it was after midday so we wanted to get there fairly quickly) so we took a taxi.  The driver was a madman, or maybe I just couldn’t figure out the road rules in Romania.  He certainly went 80kph along a narrow street in the middle of the city centre.  He also had a large crack on the windscreen, apparently from some kind of impact, though admittedly that doesn’t mean anything necessarily seeing as the one we got back on our return had a cracked windscreen as well.

We had to wait at the bus stop for about twenty minutes before our bus came, but we were soon on our way, racing down a bumpy, windy road that really did a number on my stomach.  The driver was a smiley, friendly bloke who let a schoolkid on for free.

The actual township of Bran is actually really, really small.  In fact it seems like the whole place is made up of a few scattered houses, a street of tacky trinkets trying to cash in on the Dracula connection and of course the castle itself, which sits less-dramatically-than-one-might-think on a steeply rising hill.  It’s not enormous, but has a definite presence, probably because it isn’t competing with much.

We started off by going in the wrong direction and ended up at a museum that had nothing to do with the building itself but was instead a small place containing some of the furniture that was confiscated at the collapse of the monarchy.  We were given a free guided tour by a very sweet lady who provided a lot of historical information about the area, Romania’s monarchy and the furniture.  Unfortunately she only spoke Romanian, so the version I heard was a truncated translation from Amalia.  It was also tainted by Amalia’s political spin, I suspect, as it painted the monarchy in a very good light.  I mean, I have no reason to believe that the Romanian monarchy was bad (hell, there were only three of them) but it was a pretty golden picture being painted for me.

From there we walked in the opposite direction to the actual entrance to Bran Castle.  To get there you have to walk down a little pedestrian street that is totally chockers with Blood Cafes and Haunted Mansions (with 5D video technology!), hats, fridge magnets, t-shirts and cheese.

Photography was included in the ticket price, but not videography, but seeing as my camera looks like a photography camera and no-one seemed to check I didn’t bother paying the extra.

Bran Castle is kind of a small fairytale castle, what with its spires and ornate architecture.  There have been fortifications there for a while, I suppose, since there must have been something around the time of Vlad the Impaler, but the current building is from like the 18th or 19th century.  So not that old.

It has a cool, labyrinthine interior that takes you up bendy staircases, into oddly-shaped courtyards and through narrow passages.  There’s at least one secret passageway, and the whole thing feels like it fits a lot more into itself than its exterior would suggest.  It didn’t have much furniture, though.  It all got confiscated and some of it ended up in the museum we went to earlier.

So what does Bran Castle have to do with Dracula?  Jack s***.  Absolutely nada.  I got the feeling that they looked at it, went, “Yeah, it kinda looks like it could be sort of Dracula.  Ish.”  Then they went ahead and marketed it as Dracula’s Castle.  It doesn’t even really have anything to do with Vlad the Impaler.  They even have a small room talking about Dracula in the castle, which flat out tells you that the castle has nothing to do with the character.

But what would all those vampire teeth salesmen do if the truth was revealed?

The others wanted to warm up before we went back to the hostel (actually we planned to go back via Rasnov Fortress, which was a site I was more interested in than Bran, but ran out of time) so we popped into a little café that did nice thick hot chocolates.  They had a lot of variety of hot chocolate flavours, though I of course went for the dark one.  Yummy yummy.

After an easy bus ride (and crazy taxi ride – what can I expect for 1,50 euro?) we were back at the hostel.  I wanted to cook something up for myself that night so went to the cornerstore to see what I could find.

I’m not sure I’ve really come to terms with the idea of appropriate cooking on the road.  I desperately wanted goats cheese and rocket risotto, but of course the little cornerstore doesn’t have all the right ingredients for something like that, so I ended up grabbing a few unidentifiable bits of meat (frozen), some cheap feta, rice and a couple of random bits and pieces I thought might work in the risotto context.

Other than a strange, hard white thing that I almost broke my teeth on that was in the meat (pretty sure it was a bit of bone) I was pretty pleased with the result.  I did make way too much of it, and consequently ate way too much of it, with way too much still left over, but that just left me satisfied.

Joseph was beginning to display some of his more sociopathic tendencies, with a passive-aggressive campaign to try to make me finish up with the kitchen so he could cook.  The nice thing about being a guest, though, is you get preferential treatment, so his only outlet was continually asking, “Are you almost finished?  Because when you are, I want to cook.”

There was a reason for his agitation, however.  He had been visited that day by two men who claimed they had a friend coming to stay at the hostel later that week and wanted to be shown around.  Joseph thought they

I went to bed early that night.  I was not ready to take in any more cigarette smoke or alcohol at that time, and was focused on having a good day the next day.

DAY TWO

After breakfast the next day I was not ready to wait around for the others to get up for another day trip (there had been a suggestion that we would go to either Sibiu or Rasnov that day).  I still hadn’t really seen Brasov, which I thought of as a bit of an oversight seeing as I was – you know – staying there.

You may remember from my walk in the dark to the hostel when I first arrived I mentioned the presence of a giant Hollywood-style sign up on a mountain (the name of the mountain is Mt. Tampa) and I decided the day would be well spent if I managed to work my way up to the top of the mountain and to the sign itself.

Off I went, doing my best to walk towards the mountain.  Fortunately it wasn’t too difficult seeing as there was literally nowhere in the entire town from where you couldn’t see the mountain.  I hadn’t gone far up before I started to slip back down.  The path (quite a steep one) was completely iced over, so I yanked out my slip-on shoe spikes and went on my way.

The trip up was fairly easy, quite picturesque (it was snowing) and hot.  I had put thermals and everything on, expecting to freeze because… well… it was snowing.  About halfway up I ripped my coat off, sweating.  A couple more metres and I ripped my jumper off as well.

The path was marked by little blue circles painted onto rocks and trees.  Occasionally they would be kind of difficult to spot, so I would just go up in a direction that looked reasonable until I rejoined the path.  There were a couple of fake peaks, the first of which I reached at the peak of the snowstorm, thinking, “So much for getting a nice shot over the town.”  I could barely see two metres in front of me.  There was some kind of campfire with seats around it, but when it’s been snowing you kind of don’t sit down unless you want a wet bum.  I didn’t, so I continued up.

It had felt like I was moving away from the sign, so imagine my surprise when I rounded a corner and saw it.  Yay!  Just as I got there the snowstorm cleared, too, and the view was spectacular.  Maybe one day I will manage to fix my harddrive and post it.

I decided to go back a different route, one that took me on a winding, back-and-forth path down the mountain.  Well... that may not have been the best idea.  The route was slippery.  Very slippery.  Impossibly slippery.  It took me about forty minutes to get up.  It took me over two hours to get down.  It was kind of embarrassing to be stumbling down the path while other jogged by no problem, though I was more worried about my life than my dignity.  Once I got down I walked along the wall for a bit.

See, Brasov is a walled medieval city, with a wall that wraps around it with various towers that were in control of the different guilds and were used to defend the city.  As with York, you can walk around the walls for a nice series of old buildings and structures.

Needing the toilet I went back to the hostel (sometimes this is the only place available).  Joseph was the only one there – I assume the others went on their trip to Rasnov.  Since I was there I heated up some of the leftover risotto for lunch.

While I was doing that, two men knocked on the door.  More visitors.  Joseph let them in and they told him they were visiting to have a look at the place for a friend.  Remember this story?

Joseph showed them around a bit, repeatedly explaining that he didn’t work there, he was just a guest.  They asked how many beds there were and Joseph shrugged.  “I don’t know, I’m a guest.  There’s my bed, then there are some other beds.”  He waved to me and introduced me.

“This is Andrew.  He’s cooking now.”

I greeted the two suspicious men and they were soon gone.  Joseph came over to me.

“They’re looking for me.  I had to come here after what happened in Bulgaria – that was a crazy time.  But I’m glad I’m moving on soon.”

I never found out what happened in Bulgaria.  I never asked.

Needing to return to a little sanity, I went for a walk around the other part of the wall, saw the white tower and the black tower and returned.

It was Valentine’s Day, so Joseph was dead set keen on getting stupidly drunk.  I wasn’t against going out, though I was definitely going to pay very close attention to the amount of alcohol consumed.  The Greeks and Amalia said they would join us, and Frank (the Frenchman I mentioned briefly before, remember him?) was also in.

Amalia arrived in a flustered rush and said she would find us later as she had to visit the salon.  Joseph nodded and made a joke, but turned to me bitterly when she left.

“You know when a girl goes to the salon what that means.  She’s had her eyes on [random guy from the bar] for a while now.  She can’t slip anything by me.  I wrote the f***ing book.”

I was a little taken aback by the seriousness in his tone and felt like it was probably not a good idea to suggest that maybe she just wanted to – you know – go to the salon.

At the bar (I started off being stuck with Joseph and Frank since the Greeks had been a bit too slow to get ready) Joseph kept claiming that Amalia would definitely be turning up with this guy, that the ‘salon’ was just code for having sex with him, blah blah blah.  It was that is-he-joking-or-is-he-a-raving-lunatic (if he had been joking it would have been tasteless misogyny, something I could have challenged, but if he was serious I suspect the most dangerous thing to suggest at that point was that it was none of his business).

Anyway, Amalia turned up without the guy but in a huff.  See, she had left her mobile in the taxi on the way to the salon.  Joseph suddenly got very serious.

“How could you leave your phone in the taxi?  Why would you even put it down?”
“I don’t know.  Does it matter?  It’s gone.  It’s not the phone, it’s facebook and all my contacts.”

Joseph was taking all this very seriously, giving me the impression that there was something more to the phone than there seemed.  I was imagining some kind of drug deal or dirty business dealings when Joseph pulled out his phone and announced that he would call his contact and have the phone back the next day.

I started to see it wasn’t about the phone.  It was about an opportunity to exert power over Amalia.  It was an opportunity to show that he had the power and the reach to fix the fairly innocent problem she had gotten herself into.

So he called his contact and told her that the head of the Brasov police would be notified.

I just sat not saying much.

With that done, and Amalia resigned to the fact it was out of her hands, they all decided it was time to get drunk.  I was making my way as slowly as possible through a beer, but of course Joseph was pulling out the shots again.  It was very difficult to outright refuse the shots (which were tequila again – why is it always tequila?) but I did manage to space them out a bit by skipping rounds and then taking the shot when they did the next round.

As such I was pretty much completely sober when they decided to move on to a club (Frank was a dead man walking at that point, while Joseph’s already loopy mind was pickling in a bath of ethanol).  One cool thing that was done was a flaming vapour shot thing – not sure what the alcohol was but the bartender put it in a brandy glass, lit it on fire, swirled it, poured the flaming liquid into another glass, put a napkin over the brandy glass, sucked the liquid up through a straw, stuck the straw through the serviette and sucked up the vapours in the brandy glass.  Joseph did about three of those.  I was easily content to watch.

The club was a busy place, but not really a fun place.  For some reason everyone was seated at tables and drinks were served by a waitress.  The music was too loud for conversation like you can have in a bar, but the atmosphere wasn’t right for dancing like most clubs I’ve been to.  So I went back to the hostel (taking an opportunity while Amalia was in the toilet – didn’t feel like having her try to persuade me to stay).

So… the night was an experience, anyway.

DAY THREE

I was kind of glad that this was to be my last day.  Things were starting to get uncomfortable, and I decided the less time I spent hanging around the hostel the better.

I was only mildly surprised to walk into the adjoining room to see a semi-naked, unconscious Frank lying on the bed.  Hmm…

I’d kind of seen most of the stuff around Brasov, so my plan that day was literally to just walk around a bit, though I did have quite a bit of Romanian Lei left over that I wanted to change to Hungarian Forints.

But first I had some breakfast – eggs and bacon (I actually had to cut the bacon from a big slab of it – awesome).  Joseph was already up and was calling taxi companies.

“Hello, do you speak English?  Yes, hello.  My friend caught a taxi yesterday, number fifty-six.  No, fifty.  Fifty-six.  Yes, that’s- NO!  FIFTY!  FIFTY. SIX.  Not sixty-six.  FIFTY.  FIFTY-SIX.  Ok.  She left her phone in the taxi.  Can you please give me the phone number of the taxi driver of cab fifty-six at 7:30pm last night.  No, it wasn’t a woman, it was a man.  NO!  NOT SIXTY-SIX!  FIFTY.  FIVE ZERO.  FIFTY-SIX.  Yes, ok.  And he will call me?  Ok, thank-you.  Now, please, ok, you’re very kind, but can I please explain something to you?  My name is Dr. Joseph.  I’m a French Canadian citizen.  I have a diplomatic passport.  Now, I know the driver has the phone.  He locked it as soon as he found it.  We know when he locked it.  Tell him, if he doesn’t call me, I will find him and he will regret it.  Do you understand?  We know he has the phone.  I will come and I will find him.  Do you understand?  Make sure he returns the phone.  Ok, thankyou.”

He hung up the phone and turned to me.

“I saw the taxi on camera footage.  We have the number.  Do you know what I’m going to do?  If he doesn’t call me, at 7:30 tonight I am going to call and ask for taxi 56.  And I’m going to get in the front of the taxi – oh boy, he won’t know what hit him.  He’ll give back the phone after that, let me tell you.”

Oh.  Great.

My route for that day took me east, parallel to the mountains.  It seemed like the whole area was residential districts (and dilapidated ones at that) until I reached a muddy road, mulched up by melting snow and tyre marks.  I followed the road, curious, until I reached a snowed-over picnic area.  From the snowed-over picnic area I continued into the mountains and ended up having a walk similar to the one the previous day.  Not that I minded – it was good to have a bit of a break from the insanity.

I was having a lot of fun with the snow as it was quite deep and my foot would pass through down to my knee.  After about an hour I started to get tired.  After another half hour I started to realize that the path was leading to the opposite side of the mountain to where I needed to return – I had assumed it was a round trip.  The path disappeared.  The fun disappeared.  I only had a couple of hours before all the exchange offices would shut their doors, so I decided to turn back.

The trip back was nowhere near as fun as the trip there.  I was totally over falling through snow and having to drag myself from the holes created.  Then I saw bear tracks and tried to go a bit quieter since wrestling a bear was not how I planned to spend my last day in Romania.

Well, I didn’t find the bear (or, more to the point, get found by it), got some forints, went back to the hostel, got my bags, saw Joseph heading off with a bunch of new Greek guests to the Street Café and left myself.  There was a bit of a panic since Joseph was supposed to be rostered on, I had already handed in my key and he was off getting drunk, so I couldn’t actually get out.  Luckily I managed to find a key that unlocked the gate and escaped.

At the train station I came across the only example of gypsies I had seen my entire time in Romania.  A bunch of kids were messing around in the station, throwing babies down stairs and stuff (that’s only a slight exaggeration – the six-year-old in charge of the baby was not being terribly gentle).

The train was the regular type I have become used to – not the awesomeness of the Russian-styled one from Bulgaria.  When I entered my couchette, there was already a big Romanian man sleeping in my bed.  I didn’t want to cause any fuss or anything, so took a different bed.

There was a woman sharing the cabin with the three Romanian men (who had taken up a whole side of the cabin, including my bed obviously) and myself.  She was some kind of Taoist follower, reading a spiritual book written by an Eastern mystic.  Then she pulled out an iPad and started to have skype sex with some guy.  Neither of them were native English speakers, but their skyping was in English (“If you were alone right now I would come in and I would f*** you all night”).  Scarred for life.  FOR LIFE.

The border patrol were probably the friendliest I have come across (I guess they recognized that 5am is a really painful time to be woken up).  The three Romanians disappeared a stop before the crossing.  Hmmm…

After that it wasn’t long before I was in Budapest, where I would meet my Dad, get drunk, see castles, crawl through caves and be confused by the money.  But all that is for when this story is

TO BE CONTINUED

Which may be quite some time, since quite a lot happened in Budapest.  I’ll see how I go, I’m finding it more and more difficult to find time to write these.

No comments:

Post a Comment